After you’ve browsed the 11 facts (with citations at the bottom), take action and volunteer with our millions of members. Sign up for a campaign and make the world suck less.
[contentblock id=1 img=adsense.png]
- The human body has 650 muscles.
- The only exercise you should hold your breath for is underwater swimming.
- The heart is the strongest muscle in the body.
- Nearly 50% of all young people ages 12-21 are not vigorously active on a daily basis.
- For every pound of muscle gained, the body burns 50 extra calories every day.
- Only 13% of men are physically fit.
[contentblock id=2 img=adsense.png]
- More than 30% of children ages 6 to 11 are overweight, and over 15% are obese.
- On average, a person walks 70,000 miles in their lifetime.
- Roughly 4,000 children and teenagers begin smoking every day.
- Exercise makes you feel more energized because it releases endorphins into the blood.
- Movement in exercise helps relieve stress by producing a relaxation response which serves as a position distraction